One of the main aims in the CISC strategic plan is to develop programmes to support leadership in our schools. The programmes will seek to meet the needs of leaders at various stages in their careers, from aspiring leaders to established leaders.
The programme for aspiring or potential leaders of a Catholic school is now up and running. The programme is entitled, An Introduction to the Leadership of a Catholic School. This programme is suitable for those in senior positions in a Catholic school, or those with at least five years’ experience in middle management. A head’s reference is required to support the application. The main aim of the programme is to deepen the delegates’ understanding of the mission of a Catholic school, to explore their own values and the values of the Gospel, and to begin to develop an understanding of what is required to lead a Catholic school. Places will be limited on the course in order to create the seminar-style approach which will most benefit the delegates. The main elements of the programme are:
- Two 24 hour residential conferences, in October and June, with inspirational keynote speakers and the experience of recently appointed heads
- A weekend retreat in March (at the delegates’ own expense)
- School visits to extend the delegates’ experience of different school settings
- Developmental work with a mentor, including a visit to his or her school
- Assessment by essay or the opportunity to make a peer-assessed presentation at the final conference
- A detailed and supportive workbook with helpful resources and signposts
- A CISC certificate of completion for the delegates’ CV
Discussions are underway with the Catholic universities and it is hoped that delegates who complete the course may receive credits towards Masters level study programmes in Catholic leadership.
You will find more information on An Introduction to the Leadership of a Catholic School and how to apply for a place on the 2017/18 programme here:
The next level of leadership programme currently under development is a programme for serving heads which will be known as Sustaining Leadership in a Catholic School. A CISC working party will meet at Notre Dame School in Cobham in early May 2017 to scope out the content of the course to best meet the needs of serving heads.
If you would like to be involved in the development of the programme, please contact Raymond Friel at email@example.com.